Village cheats

THE Interior department says there were 26 candidates from over 4,000 multi-termer barangay officials who ran in the October 25, 2010 synchronized Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections. Out of these 26 multi-termer barangay heads, 12 of them managed to win in the polls and were proclaimed by the Commission on Elections.

Pursuant to Section 2 of Republic Act 9164, or An Act Providing for the Synchronized Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections, no barangay elective officials shall serve for more than three consecutive terms.

Last September 24, or a month before the holding of the village and SK polls, the DILG submitted to the Comelec a list of 4,404 barangay heads who were on their 3rd and 4th consecutive terms.

Director John M. Castaneda of the DILG’s National Barangay Operations Office (NBOO) identified the 12 multi-termer barangay poll winners as Enrique L. Bautista of Brg. Barrientos, Luna, La Union; Noel T. Lomboy, Brgy Ribusan, Naguilian, La Union; Douglas S. Hagedorn, Brgy San Miguel, Puerto Princesa City; Rogelio Carbonell, Brgy Old Moriones, Ocampo, Camarines Sur; Ofelia M. Pati-on, Brgy Tabun-ac, Toboso, Negros Occidental; Gregorio C. Canda, Brgy. Botoc Occ., Loay, Bohol ; Bartolome P. Figueroa, Brgy. Bagacay, Daram, Samar ; Bienvenido R. Tubog, Brgy. New Kidapawan, Kibawe, Bukidnon. The others were Mario M. Cajucom of  Brgy 3; Conrado G. Cruz of Brgy 12; Vicente B. Que of Brgy 106; and Othello E. Ocamp of Brgy 136, all in Caloocan City. Except for barangay chair Ofelia Pati-on of Brgy. Tabun-ac, Toboso, Negros Occidental, the other 11 winners have pending electoral protests filed against them.

The Comelec, despite being informed by the DILG of the multi-termer barangay bets, says they were not given due process and that losers should be ones filing disqualification cases against these winning village poll cheaters.

The problem with report is that we now recognize and allow these cheats to run their respective villages pending the outcome of protests to be lodged against them.


Former Supreme Court Associate Justice Adolfo Azcuna recently bared that 70 percent of cases pending before the 3,000 trial courts nationwide are criminal in nature while the rest are civil. Of the 70 percent criminal cases pending in these courts, more than half of these are drug-related, many of which are non-bailable offenses that contributes to the congestion of the country’s jail facilities.

Based on Azcuna’s disclosure, the country’s anti-drug campaign continues to be a sham as drug lords and drug traffickers no longer fear being caught by the authorities.

There were persistent reports that many of the reported drug hauls made by the PNP and PDEA were “give aways” or tokens made by the drug lords just to provide these anti-drug offices big accomplishment reports and to justify their annual budgets.

The only time this drug menace will attract Palace’s attention is when a VIP or a national figure is killed by a drug addict and the story is sensationalized by the media.


Last week, the camp of Sen. Panfilo Lacson, through his lawyer, launched a  media campaign to dramatize the sad fate of fugitive Sen. Panfilo Lacson who is wanted by law for the Nov. 2000 Dacer-Corbito murder case.

But suddenly, their media “noises” went silent when the Court of Appeals 6th Division denied Lacson’s appeal for a TRO on the warrant of arrest issued against him by a feisty lady RTC judge from Manila . DOJ Secretary Leila de Lima also rejected his motion for a reinvestigation of the case.

The CA and the DOJ’s move meant that Sen. Lacson will not surface, surrender or face the charges against him for a very long time. A lawmaker-law breaker who dreads being in the company of some of his victims in the past.


For feedback and comments, please email me at Romie Evangelista


About Gwenn

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply