Palace condoles with Reyes family, appeals to public for privacy
MALACAñANG condoled Tuesday with the family of the late former Defense Secretary Angelo Reyes, even as it appealed to the public to refrain from speculations on his death and allow Reyes’ family some privacy.
Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office Secretary Ramon Carandang also said they are leaving to the Defense Department and Armed Forces of the Philippines on whether to give Reyes full military honors.
“First of all, we express our condolences to (the family of) Reyes … Ang panawagan namin, bigyan ng pagkakataon ang pamilya mag-grieve, give them some privacy now (First of all, we express our condolences to Reyes’ family. Our appeal is to allow his family time and privacy to grieve),” Carandang said in an interview on dzBB radio.
Reyes was declared dead on arrival at a Quezon City hospital after sustaining a gunshot wound in the chest.
The former defense secretary had been linked to “pabaon,” one of the questionable practices at the Armed Forces of the Philippines.
“(Reyes’ family) want some time to themselves, alam natin ang nangyari sa pamilya ngayon (we know what happened to him). That’s s avery tragic event,m” Carandang said.
When asked if Reyes will be given full military honors at his funeral, Carandang said it will be up to the DND and AFP.
“I’ll leave it to the AFP and DND to decide,” he said. Julian Labores