Heavy rains flood southern provinces, affects hundreds of families
GOVERNMENT disaster agencies in the Philippines said Thursday, March 17, that dozens of families are evacuating due to fear of flash floods from the provinces of Samar, Bohol, Misamis Oriental and South Cotabato that is experiencing heavy rains for the past few days.
Latest bulleting from the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) said that a total of 272 families or 1,360 persons have already been affected by continuous heavy rains in the past days at the said provinces.
The NDRRMC reports that 20 families or about 100 individuals from three villages in San Jose de Buan town in Samar were evacuated by army troops due to an imminent threat of flash floods in their villages.
Local disaster management officials have constructed makeshift tents as temporary evacuation sites for affected persons, the reports said, adding that the town of San Jose de Buan has no power since Tuesday because of the heavy rains.
The agency added that evacuations of residents were also being made in Bohol, Misamis Oriental and South Cotabato due to continuous rains.
Five villages in the towns of Jagna, Bilar, and Dimiao in Bohol were alo evacuated also on Wednesday, as well as two villages in El Salvador City in Misamis Oriental.
The town of Banga in South Cotabato also evacuated 20 persons due to heavy rains, the NDRRMC said.
“Undetermined number of houses and rice fields were reported damaged by the incidents, though no casualties were reported,” the report added.
The reports also said that so far, floods and a tornado have swept 12 houses in the affected provinces while several roads have been closed to traffic and rendered impassable due to landslides. Anthony Vargas