Attack vs dzRK-Radyo ng Bayan foiled
BAGUIO CITY – A security guard and a radio crew foiled the attempt of three unidentified men to set a government-owned radio station on fire in Tabuk City, Kalinga early Tuesday morning, May 24.
According to Rowena Carranza, the joint National Union of Journalists and International Federation of Journalists (NUJP-IFJ) Media Safety Office received reports that the attempt to burn down the dzRK-Radyo ng Bayan station took place at around 1:00 a.m. using four molotov bombs.
The suspects shoved the bombs inside a room located at the back of the station by breaking the jalousie window panels.
Guards on duty put out the fire before it spread. Paulo Dayag, security guard in charge, said he was awakened by a loud noise inside the lavatory where he saw a bright light. He took the fire extinguisher and woke up the station’s technician, Willie Anastacio, and they quickly put out the fire.
The suspects fled aboard a still unidentified green Mitsubishi Delica van.
Local radio broadcaster Jerome Tabanganay, who hosts the radio commentary “Agenda” in the same station, attributed the attack to dzRK’s unrelenting commentaries to the resumption of jueteng operations just this Sunday, May 22.
In May last year, Tabanganay himself survived an election-related assassination attempt which took place in the station.
Reports from Kalinga recounted that four days after the May 2010 polls, Tabanganay survived a gun attack when suspected assassins barged inside the radio station and shot the broadcaster. Although Tabanganay linked last year’s attack to dirty politics, he alleged that jueteng operations financed the attempt on his life.
Tabuk City Mayor Ferdinand Tubban quickly denounced the attack and vowed to push a probe into the incident.
Tubba questioned the motive against a radio station that helps in the development of the city.
“It is a government station and the suspects might not know that it is the people’s money they are destroying,” the report quoted Tubban.
Meanwhile, Tubban also said the police would look into the resurgence of jueteng in the city. Its operations reportedly temporarily stopped for two months before allegedly resuming on Sunday. Lyn V. Ramo/Artemio A. Dumlao