NDRRMC: More bodies recovered in Iligan City

MANILA, Philippines – Government rescue workers have recovered 150 more bodies in Iligan City, one of the hardest hit by typhoon Sendong, disaster reports said Monday.

The recovery of the more bodies on Christmas eve has raised the total death toll from flashfloods and landslides brought by Sendong to over 1,200, the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) said.

“There’s no Christmas here in Iligan City.. what said is that the number goes up everyday,” NDRRMC executive director, Usec. Benito Ramos told defense reporters in a phone patched briefing.

The NDRRMC chief did not gave a breakdown of the total number of death, but updated reports by the NDRRMC said that only the body count in Iligan had climbed, from 312 to 468 with only 371 bodies have been identified.

While the number of recovered bodies in Cagayan de Oro City, also hit hard by Sendong, have remained at 674 with only 273 bodies being identified.

Death toll in other areas have not moved with 41 in Bukidnon; 37 in Negros Oriental and one in Cebu; three in Zamboanga del Norte; five in Compostela Valley; four in Lanao del Sur and one in Surigao del Sur.

Two deaths attributed to Sendong were also reported as far as in Camarines Sur.

The NDRRMC chief said that more bodies had been recovered as far as Oroquieta City in Misamis Occidental, 65 kilometers from Iligan, prompting authorities to widen the search.


About Thor

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply