Nearly a thousand foreigners barred from entering PHL
THE Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Monday said that nearly a thousand foreigners have been barred from entering in different parts of the country in 2011 for various reasons.
BI Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. disclosed that a total of 980 foreigners were refused entry last year, compared to the 640 who were excluded in 2010.
The BI chief attributed the rise in the number of excluded aliens to the increased vigilance of immigration officers in screening the arriving foreigners in the various airports and seaports.
“We have instructed our personnel at the airports not to relax their guard, thus we were able to thwart more of these undesirable aliens from entering our country,” David said.
The BI chief said that about 90 percent of the passengers were intercepted at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport while the rest were intercepted in other ports such as Mactan, Cebu and Clark Field, Pampanga.
He added that the aliens were turned away for various reasons, such as not having an entry visa; possession of spurious travel documents; and inclusion of the passenger’s name in the bureau’s blacklist.
Also excluded were those profiled as likely to become public charges, or whose presence here is deemed inimical to the national interest.
Statistics from the BI airport operations division show that of the 980 excluded aliens, 860 were turned back in the three terminals of the NAIA, the country’s premiere port.
There were 99 aliens who were denied entry at the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) and 13 at the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) in Angeles City.
Data from BI also revealed that Chinese nationals topped the list of the excluded nationals with 242, followed by 210 Koreans, 82 Americans, 74 Japanese and 57 Indians.
Next in the list are 56 Taiwanese, 28 Britons, 28 Australians, 23 Vietnamese and 14 Canadians. Anthony Vargas