PCSO assists earthquake victims
AS AN immediate response to the disaster, the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) has allotted an initial P120,000 financial assistance to the victims of last Monday’s 6.9 magnitude earthquake incident that struck Negros Occidental and caused casualties and damages amounting to nearly P300 million.
The financial assistance was given to the Guihulngan District Hospital where around 70 casualties are being confined.
According to PCSO Chairperson Margarita Juico, the aid will be used to procure medicines, medical supplies, and potable water, items requested by local authorities as among the priority needs of the stricken.
“PCSO’s primary mandate is to provide medical and health-related assistance to Filipinos, especially during instances such as this,” said Juico.
In addition, PCSO General Manager Atty. Jose Ferdinand Rojas II said that the PCSO Board of Directors had earlier approved a resolution granting P 805, 825.76 for the hospitalization bills of victims of the December 10 freak plane crash and subsequent fire in Don Bosco, Parañaque City.
Other PCSO Board resolutions provided for a total of P 8,448,902.05 for the victims of typhoon Sendong in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan cities, which struck last December 17 and caused floods and landslides.
These funds were allocated as endowment funds to Northern Mindanao Medical Center and Gregorio T. Lluch Memorial Hospital; for the purchase of relief goods; for medicines for the AFP Rescue Team for use in their medical missions; and for medical assistance to Philippine Army personnel injured during recovery and relief operations.
PCSO also took care of the medical expenses of victims of the January 5 Compostela Valleylandslide who were treated at government hospitals.