Quake casualties continues to rise – PNP

MANILA, Philippines – The number of casualties from the magnitude 6.9 earthquake that struck Central Visayas and parts of Northern Mindanao continues to rise on Thursday as disaster relief efforts continues to go on full swing.

Latest bulletin from the Philippine National Police (PNP) central operations center in Camp Crame has placed the number of fatalities from Monday’s temblor to 28 with 124 persons injured while 73 others still remain missing.

The bulletin said that the PNP together with the Armed Forces (AFP), local government units and other non-governmental organizations are in full blast for the search, rescue and recovery operations in quake affected areas.

The PNP bulletin came as the head of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) lamented that chances of finding more survivors from the quake ravage areas are getting slimmer.

NDRRMC Executive Director, Usec. Benito Ramos expresses his sentiments after visiting and inspecting the several towns in Negros Oriental and Cebu that felt the brunt of the quake traced to a previously unrecorded faultline.

“This is already the third day and I am still hoping against hope, but the chances are very slim,” Ramos told defense reporters in a phone patched briefing while on inspecting the quake ravage area in Negros Oriental and Cebu.

The NDRRMC chief noted that many roads, bridges and housing community in Negros Oriental, specially in the area of Guihulunga City and La Libertad are badly affected by landslide brought the quake.

“Makapal at malaki yung bagsak na lupa makikita mo talagang na walang mabubuhay dito at kasalukuyan pa rin mayroon mga aftershocks – tuloy tuloy pa rin ang mga aftershocks,” Ramos said.

The NDRRMC chief added that government troops backed by a team of search and rescue workers from Manila have resumed their search and rescue operations for the reported missing persons.


About Thor

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply