PNP to act against looting in areas severely hit by Pablo
POLICE ground commanders in Mindanao have been instructed to prevent and take prompt actions on reportedly looting incident in areas heavily devastated by Typhoon Pablo last week.
PNP chief, Director General Nicanor Bartolome went to Campostela Valley to personally assess the prevailing situation in the said province, which is among the hardest hit area by Typhoon Pablo.
Bartolome was then given a briefing by Davao Regional Police commander, Chief Supt. Jaime Morente and Campostala Valley provincial police director, Senior Supt. Camilo Cascolan over the prevailing situation in the area.
PNP spokesman, Chief Supt. Generoso Cerbo Jr., said that the PNP chief has instructed the two officials to mobilize all of their personnel and force multipliers to maintain peace and order in typhoon hit areas.
“His instruction was to mobilize all personnel and other force multipliers in the communities to guard against looters that may take advantage of the situation,” Cerbo told reporters in Camp Crame.
The PNP spokesman added that more police personnel were deployed to affected towns in Davao Oriental to prevent a repeat of a recent incident where a National Food Authority warehouse was looted in the province.
The latest casualty toll in the entire Compostela Valley as of Monday is placed at 370 Dead, 395 Injured and 482 Missing, the PNP spokesman said.
Bartolome brought relief goods donated by the Rotary Club of Camp Crame to local government units of affected towns and also provided financial assistance to policemen whose families were among calamity victims.
“Although some of our policemen were themselves victims of the typhoon, yet they still managed to help others first before their own families,” Bartolome said.