SRA sponsors scholarship study and fellowship program
STARTING school year 2013-2014, the Sugar Regulatory Administration will formally open a Scholarship Study and Fellowship Program to deserving students.
The prime goal of this undertaking is to promote and sustain a strong agricultural and industrial research and development program which will propel the Philippine sugar industry to stability and competitiveness in the coming years.
Among its objectives are: 1) to provide the industry with a highly qualified and competent technical and extension workforce through undergraduate and post-graduate scholarships as well as specialized courses in the fields of Chemical Engineering-Sugar Technology, Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering, Chemistry and Agricultural Extension; 2) to ensure a vast line-up of top-caliber and reliable Research and Development personnel and scientists who can strengthen the scientific, technological and outreach programs/activities of both the agricultural and industrial sectors of the sugarcane industry; and 3) to generate responsive, adaptable and innovative technologies and scientific knowledge or information through a Research Fellowship financial assistance program.
Those who are qualified to apply for said scholarships include deserving students in the undergraduate level: freshmen (both 4 and 5-year courses), sophomore (4-year course) and junior (5-year course) as well as those who are pursuing their Masters and Ph. D degrees.
Under these scholarships, SRA will provide financial assistance, benefits and other privileges to the chosen scholars (tuition/miscellaneous fees and allowances for: book, clothing, transportation, medical, subsistence, thesis/dissertation, laptop and graduation).
In order to qualify for the scholarship program, interested applicants shall meet the following criteria:
· Natural-born Filipino citizen with no pending application for immigration in any foreign land; and preferably, dependents of sugar industry workers or small scale sugarcane farmers;
· Belongs to the upper 10% of the school’s graduating class;
· Passed the University of the Philippines College Admission Test (UPCAT);
· Belongs to STFAP Bracket D, E1 and E2 with an annual gross family income of not more than Php 250,000.00;
· Not more than 21 years old (for Undergraduate); 40 years old (for Masters Degree) and 45 years old (for Ph. D);
· Not a recipient of any existing scholarship grant;
· In excellent health; and
· Of good moral character.
In partnership with the academe, SRA will enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the University of the Philippines (Los Baños) as well as other chosen reputable teaching institutions.