- Urban Generation: ‘Best buys’ for trendy outfits
- A Journey to Wonderful
- Papal Visit on the spot stamps design contest held
- Globe launches biggest mobile recycling program in PH to create e-waste awareness
- Anne Curtis may pagnanasa kay Luis Manzano
- Palasyo nag-sorry sa mga proyekto ng DPWH
- 2 pulis, nagbarilan sa away-trapiko
- Handa ka na bang mag-asawa?
- Asia Communications Awards hails Globe Community as Best Customer Service Initiative
- Veterans Bank highlights growth in 2013 to stockholders
1 rebel dead, 2 soldiers wounded in Northern Samar encounter
ONE suspected rebel was killed and two soldiers were wounded after government troops clashed with leftist rebels in a remote village in Northern Samar early Saturday.
Military reports reaching Camp Aguinaldo on Sunday said the encounter took place early Saturday at Brgy. Rombang, Laoang town in Northern Samar.
The reports said that prior to the encounter the army’s 38th Infantry Battalion received information of rebel presence extorting food and money from village folks.
Upon confirming of the reports, Lt. Col. Rodrigo Ilustrisimo, commander of 38th dispatches troops to patrol the area, the reports said.
However, when troops reached the vicinity of Brgy. Rombang, the leftist insurgents immediately engaged them in a fire-fight lasting for 45 minutes, reports said.
The reports said the firefight resulted to the death of one unidentified rebel and wounding of two soldiers while the rebels quickly fled.
Wounded troops were identified as PFC Ambel Cabanjen and Corporal Allan Virtudazo, both of whom were immediately given first aid treatment by a soldier medic and are already in stable condition, reports said.
Troops were able to recover from the encounter site two M16 fifles, two pieces of Improvised Explosive Device (IED), four backpacks and two civilian bags containing personal belongings, the reports said.